One of the first houses constructed on Clemow Avenue was this one, located near the intersection with Percy. It was designed by Colborne Powell Meredith and built for George A. Crain in 1907-08. Meredith was appointed to the Ottawa Improvement Commission (the organization responsible for the beautification of Ottawa, and the design of Clemow Avenue) in 1910. Crain lived in the house until the 1940s, and had a long career as an Ottawa contractor, building houses and institutional buildings throughout the city.
There is, however, one house that is even older than this one…it was built in 1901 (according to the city directory)…more on that later.