JB Harkin, one of the founders of Canada’s National Park System, and commissioner of the Dominion Parks Branch from 1911 until his retirement in the 1930s, lived in this house on Clemow Avenue during his retirement years. He was here from ca. 1936 until his death in 1953. Harkin was also responsible for persuading the govt. to create the National Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada in 1919. Harkin is pictured below as a young man in his early years as commissioner.
Learn more about Harkin’s efforts (with the help of his secretary and Ottawa native M.B. Williams) to expand Canada’s National Parks and Historic Sites here:http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/pages/13_canadas_national_parks.aspx