Frank Plant (1884-1952) commissioned architect Cecil Burgess to design this house located at 170 Clemow in 1926-27. Plant had been mayor of Ottawa from 1921-23, and was living at that time in a more modest house on Pretoria Avenue. He was mayor again for a brief time in 1930, before quitting to look after his personal business affairs. A few years later, he became the city council representative for the Ottawa Hydro Commission, a post he held for fifteen years.
He was responsible, among other things, for the construction of the Plant Bath (see Flickr images), on Preston Street.
170 Clemow is now the High Commission for Cameroon, and is currently undergoing some exterior renovations.