Before the Ottawa Improvement Commission beautified the Glebe around Patterson Creek, and turned it into a park, there was another park, on the edge of a much larger expanse of water: the Ottawa Electric Railway Park. It was a innovation by the new street railway to get people to go out for picnics to the new and still relatively undeveloped suburb (the Glebe), land that had just been annexed in 1889 by the city of Ottawa. The first images in this set shows the old Grove Hotel (by 1892 converted into the Ottawa Snowshoe Club clubhouse), located at what is now the northeast corner of Bank and Clemow:
This was a lovely setting, for Patterson Creek was actually a large pond or inlet from the canal, and so you would get a scenes like this right next to Bank Street :
There was even a stage and refreshment stand so that picnic goers could come and listen to concerts:And what betrter
And what better way to get people to the park and fill all those chairs but to take the street railway down Bank Street! This is the case in the next shot, which shows the Ottawa Church of England Sunday School group going there in July 1893!