This unusual house that has both prairie style and gothic revival architectural charactertistics is over a century old, and was built in 1913 for the politician Alexander Johnston (1867-1951).
Johnston began his career as a journalist but was first elected to the House of Commons as a Liberal in 1900, re-elected in 1904, and was defeated in 1908.
From 1910 to 1931 he was the Deputy Minister of Marine and Fisheries. responsible partly for the Dominion Fisheries Museum located near Queen and O’ Connor,
and he was also a representative at the International Radio Conference in Washington in 1927 and in London in 1929. He is in this group somewhere from the 1927 conference.
When he retired there was this story from the Montreal Gazette.
He lived in this house until his death in 1951, and his widow lived on here until the 1960s.