UPDATE JULY 2014
The house that was the home of many prominent Ottawa people, concluding the chairman of the NCC, Douglas Fullerton, who lived here with his wife from 1961-1996, and then his widow from 1996-2012, was demolished sometime during the week of July 15-20, 2014. The Elm tree, one of the last remaining elms on the street, and which was saved through the effort of Fullerton, was damaged at the base during the demolition work. This tree should be designated natural heritage under the Ontario Heritage Act.
John J. Allen, mayor of Ottawa from 1931-33, built this house in 1912-13. This historic place is designed in a distinctive Prairie architectural style, with key features being the boxy contours, deeply inset side veranda with classical revival pillars, symmetrical fenestration pattern, the l-shaped layout, and the the buff brick exterior. Either Allan Keefer or Francis Conroy Sullivan or Walter Herbert George was the architect, as all three were well-versed in this particular style, but there is no confirmation on who the architect was this yet.
Allen established Allen’s Drugstore in 1905 at the corner of Bank and Laurier, and ran the business until he sold it to the United Drug Company in 1918, which later changed its name to Rexall. Allen stayed with Rexall until 1925, first as a branch manager, then operating 2 stores, located at 20 and 48 Sparks Street. Before becoming mayor, Allen served as president of the Ottawa Welfare Bureau.
Allen died suddenly in 1935 while on a visit to Montreal.
His widow sold the house in 1936 to a John McRae, a consulting engineer for the city of Ottawa. McRae lived here until 1939. From this date until 1945 Lloyd Breadner, Air Vice Marshall RCAF Headquarters, called this place home. For more info, see http://breadner.hpedsb.on.ca/index.php/about-breadner/history and http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20938476
From 1946 to Nov. 1950, C. Reid Hutchison, lived here with his wife. Hutchison was assistant manager of Hugh CArson Co. Ltd, manufacturers of Harness, Trunks, and Bags, Head office and factory, 68-74 Albert Street (near the intersection with Elgin).
Prior to this home on Clemow, Hutchison lived at 124 Powell. He was very active as a curler, with membership in Glebe, Ottawa,and Rideau Curling Clubs, and was the son of a prominent dentist and curler O. Hutchison. He Died in a hunting accident in Nov. 1950 in Buckingham, Quebec. From 1951-1959, widow Margaret Hutchison, lived here and worked as a real estate secretary at AH Fitzsimmons and Son.