note: This post was originally published in 2012 but has been updated with new information.
The top photo is 910 Bank Street, ca. 1870s, built for John Garland and later the home of Alexander Maclean and the later still Annesley College before demolition in 1949.
Here’s another view of the house, as seen in 1892 when it was the home of Mrs. Thomas McKay:
Currently occupied by a parking lot and the Beer Store.
Next door was the home of his business partner, John Mutchmor, now called Abbotsford House, and built in 1873 (and seen here in 1928):
John Mutchmor, businessman and land speculator, as seen here in the 1870s.
Here’s his partner John Garland in 1875:
Here he is again in 1896:
And here is his wife, as seen in 1874:
And here is the first store Garland and Mutchmor ran in downtown Ottawa), ca. 1871, at 110-116 Sparks Street,
And here’s another view of their store on Sparks Street:
Here is interior of the next store Garland an, on his own, as seen in 1892:
Here is the exterior of one the buildings he had constructed, known as the Garland Building, at Queen and O’Connor, as seen in 1898:
At bottom is Elm Bank House, built by another Ottawan, Thomas McKay, and located on the south side of the canal near where the Sunnyside public library is now. (Misidentified in the LAC catalogue as the John Garland House.)
More closeup views of Elm Bank, as seen in 1873: